Sunday, May 25, 2008

Wet and Uneventful

Nothing really special about today. I was out in a brisk wind and sprinkly rain nice and early. Even though it was cold, it didn't take long to get warmed up enough to not notice.

There were a few runners out. There seems to be a lot of "serious" runners that are out in all weather. Not that I consider myself a "serious" runner. Just nuts enough to be out in the rain.

I stayed on the south side of the river for the whole run to Edworthy today, just to see what the trail was like below the escarpment. Just a small bank of ice along side the trail, but the trail itself was clear.

Across the river at Edworthy and eastward. Markers were on the trail for the Calgary Women's Walk and Run. I passed the 3 km marker, which was across the trail from the 7 km marker. Interestingly the markers also had "Brooks" on them, but not the logo. My first thought was that it was a lot farther than 3 km to Brooks.

After that, just a nice run along the river toward home. But there was a folded table across from the CBC building, leaning against a stack of cases of bottled water. Another run or walk?

About half a kilometre from the ramp up to the foot bridge to Prince's Island, the battery died on my GPS. I had about two kilometres to go and about two minutes to my next run walk. So without the tyranny of the GPS to dictate when to walk, I decided to wait until I was just about to ascend the steepest part of The Path Under The Stairs, which made for a nice walk up a steep path.

From there, it was just a nice run the rest of the way.

It's all estimates again. I'll add one and a half kilometres to what the GPS got, and eight minutes.

Distance: 16.21 km. Time: 1:26:37 Average speed: 11.2 kph. (5:21 min/km)
Rest distance: 900 m. Rest time: 9:00.
Total distance: 17.11 km. Total time: 1:35:37.

Shoes: New Balance 1061.

Weather: Cloudy and 19C to start, ending at 21C.

1 comment:

Alexandra said...

The Calgary Women's Run and Walk used to be called the Brooks Women's Run (that's why Brooks on the mile markers) and before that, the Bonnie Bell Run. This year was the 30th Anniversary of the run. It consisted of a 10km and a 5.5km run or walk. It started and finished at Shouldice Park. The big cookies at the end were great!