Tuesday, May 06, 2008

Llingering in Lloyd

OK, so I'm overdoing the double L thing. But how often do I get to run in this town?

I'm a couple of days late with this one. After an early run, we checked out of the hotel, grabbed breakfast and hit the highway for home. After getting home late, no time to write it up. And yesterday, I had to go from work to a seminar that went late, and I had to get a few groceries, too. So here I am.

I was up early, as usual, so I got the running shorts out and tied on my shoes. I crossed the highway from the hotel, then headed west to the road that went south toward that park I ran in a couple of days before.

I had the GPS, but forgot to hit start until I was a couple of hundred metres down the street going south - maybe a kilometre from the hotel. I made note of a sign so I could measure the missing distance.

It wasn't nearly as far to the park as I had thought. About another kilometre, and I was at the park gate, which was locked up. I would have just stepped around the gate, but a security guard pulled up to unlock everything.

After that, I kept to the left. I missed that path that went past the maintenance facility, and kept going past the miniature golf course and the skateboard park. Past the aquatic centre to the pond. The ice had retreated some in the two days since I'd been there, but there was still lots.

Around the other side and past the bandshell/presentation stage I checked the GPS which said I'd gone just over three kilometres. I took a left on a paved trail into the bush.

At the barbeque shack I went left again, on an unpaved trail, but found another shortly after. On that, I ended up going past the deserted parking lot, and then past the tennis courts, through the sundial, and to the gate.

There sure is a lot of stuff there, for a park that size.

Back on the street, I retraced my steps north, and found my GPS had shut down, batteries depleted. Oh, well, I'll estimate. Near the hotel, I slowed to a walk, and thought about breakfast.

Today's run
Distance: 7.00 km. Time: 40:00.
Average speed: 10.5 kph (5:43 min/km).

Shoes: New Balance 1061.

Weather: Mostly cloudy and about 5C.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Kel, very cool that you ran to Bud Miller Park. That isn't too far from where my sister lives, and I have run there also ... back when I was a runner ... or my version of a runner anyway. Nice park! Nice little town, Lloydminster.

Nony