Sunday, December 10, 2006

Another Fabulous Sunday Run

It's a gorgeous day out, and I can't imagine spending too much time indoors today. I headed out into the crisp air about mid morning, and ambled toward the bluff. The air is exceptionally clear and the mountains on the western horizon are big and bold and beautiful.

I did the usual route, down to Eau Claire and then west. Someone had been out marking the paths with flour. I later found out it was the Catch The Elves 10K, though it hadn't started when I went by.

Past Crowchild, the path was clear for a short way, until it branched up the hill toward Shaganappi. From there it was packed snow where city vehicles, or possibly the CPR, drive in to do whatever it is they do. That gives two narrow tracks that are reasonably easy to run on.

After crossing the tracks (right where 37th Street would cross, according to my map), there's that closed gate with the sign warning of coyotes and avalanches and "unsafe conditions". A coulpe of hundred metres past that is the Spruce Cliff Ice Fields (as I'll call them), where the natural springs run across the path. This week there was a good hundred metres of ice to pick my way across. It wasn't really slippery; the running water made it more sticky than slippery.

Only two people on the whole stretch, a runner and a walker. I guess not too many are crazy enough to cross the Ice Fields. After that, it was across to the north side of the river and all the way home on clear paths. Lots and lots of people out running, and quite a few walking.

Just as I was passing where 19th Street met Memorial, I caught up to another runner and we struck up a conversation that carried me all the way too the Prince's Island foot bridge. Then a hard push up The Path Under The Stairs, and I was home.

Today's run:
Distance: 16.12 km. Time: 1:29:04. Average speed: 10.9 kph.
Rest distance: 1.01 km. Rest time: 9:00.
Total distance: 17.13 km. Total time: 1:38:04.

Shoes: Saucony Grid Phoenix (Blue)

Weather: Mainly sunny and 0C to start, warming to 5C at the end.

No comments: