Sunday, February 13, 2005

Run Through Downtown

I was going to head east on the path by Memorial Drive, but with the river so high right now, all the paths under the streets are close, since most are under water and ice. So I just headed across the bridge to down town, and along the river on that side.

The Hypothermic Half Marathon is on this morning, I think. There are orange traffic cones all over the place on the downtown side of the river, and a small sign at one point marking the first kilometre. I would have been there about an hour before it started.

Once I got to 7th Street, I headed south on it, then turned back east on 3rd Avenue. The bakeries in Chinatown are going full blast, so in addition to huffing and puffing, I was drooling as well. Lord, it smelled good!

Then the long climb up Centre Street to 8th Avenue, and homeward.

Today's run:
Well, it was a total wash as far as the GPS is concerned. Apparently it wasn't able to get a satellite lock. But the stats are impressive: Distance: 1010 km, at an average speed of 1552 kph. How kicky is that? In reality I probably covered about 5 km, which is what I'll log.

Weather: Cloudy and -1C. Not too much of a breeze, and the sun was threatening to break through.

No comments: