Saturday, February 19, 2005

Down to Edworthy

Wow, can't believe I got that far. I started out going down 8th Avenue, then south down Centre Street to the downtown side of the river. I was planning to go as far as Crowchild Trail and cross back across the river there, but for some reason I ran past that bridge, just to see how far I could go on the south side.

Not much of a trail after awhile, just a couple of well traveled ruts, where I imagine city vehicles have been frequenting. After awhile, the path crossed the railroad tracks and I ran along the bottom of the cliff, below a neighbourhood I can't remember the name of right now. It was a bit startling to see the sign admonishing all travelers not to stop, as avalanches were possible in the area. This after a sign admonishing all travelers to keep dogs on the leash, as coyotes frequented the area.

I was almost going to turn around at the 60 minute mark, but I could see a bridge just up the river a little bit. So I figured I could just continue on to it, and cross, then head back toward home on the other side of the river. I had no idea I was at the bridge in Edworthy Park.

So all the way back to the bottom of the stairs to Cresent Drive, which I managed to climb. That was hard, as by that time, I'd already covered about 17 km. Then 8th Avenue and home.

Today's run:
Distance: 17.3 km. Time: 1:49:37. Speed: 9.5 kph.
Rest distance: 1.41 m. Rest time: 12:00.
Total distance: 18.71 km. Total time: 2:01:37.

Weather: Light snow and -10C. There was a fairly stiff breeze out of the north west, but it never was a factor in my comfort.

1 comment:

Shane said...

Way to keep going Kelly. I haven't been hardly running at all as we've been travelling a lot and there's usually crappy treadmills at the hotels. Not too inspiring. However we're two days in Conway, Arkansas and it's 75F out today so tomorrow morning I think I'll have to head out! Run on!