Friday, April 02, 2010

Cold Run

As in head cold. Almost completely stuffed up. Major sniffles and contributing to deforestation through tissue overuse.

I'm getting better though. After a week and a half, I'm just stuffy. Someone said a run would be a good way to burn off the last of it, so I dubiously set out.

The problem was the hint of a cough that began almost as soon as I walked out the door in my running duds. I did okay up to and along the bluff, and down The Path. After ten minutes I still hadn't collapsed in a hacking fit.

Around 10th Street was when it started. I would cough at every second step so it wasn't debilitating. I did slow a little, because I found that when I coughed it would twist the abdominal muscles a little so it felt like I was running sideways.

Anyway, about halfway to 14th Street, I got it under control. and by the time I passed the CBC studios, I was good. A tickle never left, and a couple of times I felt like it might start up again.

At the end, once I'd left the bluff and began walking the last block I started hacking in earnest, but it felt more like the runner's cough that I've finish almost every run with through the winter.

Didn't feel great at the end or during any part of it, but I still ran a pretty good run.

Yesterday's run:
Distance: 10.24 Time: 58:54
Average speed: 5:45 min/km. (10.43 kph)

Shoes: New Balance 769 (Blue).
Today's earworm: Just L n K.
Weather: Mostly cloudy and 7C.

No comments: