Tuesday, April 06, 2010

March is Being March

The usual. Big wind, a little cool, cloud, sun, cloud, more cloud. Good running weather if you aren't fighting the wind too much, though

It was pretty usual, home from work and right back out. Boy, it was sure busy on The Stairs. I think there were at least three fitness groups running up and down, plus a large group in the park at the top, and another group at the bottom by the parking lot.

But past that, well it was busy on the foot bridge to Prince's Island, but the path along Memorial was rather quiet. I guess that wind was carrying enough of a chill to keep people on treadmills, or whatever they do when they don't run out side.

At times the wind was really brisk. In fact the foot bridge under Crowchild was bouncing a little, some resonance with the air movement. I usually feel that on the bridge to Prince's Island as it's a suspension bridge, and tends to bounce a little at times. Give a run an odd feel, sometimes squishy as the deck moves downward when your foot strikes, sometimes slappy hard when it's moving upward.

On the south side of the river, there were a few more runners, and a lot more cyclists. It gets a little crazy, and I think some cyclists tend to let safe practices slide a little in their hurry to get where ever they're going.

After the construction site for the Peace Bridge, the promenade was almost deserted. I think most people going east just take 2nd Avenue until it intersects with the promenade at the cul de sac just west of the construction site.

The crossing from Prince's Island to the curling club was still busy, lots of people walking home from work. I managed to get to The Stairs in a break between running groups so no waiting, and the two flights to The Path were unimpeded.

I made a conscious effort to run The Path as hard as I could without collapsing half way up. I think I did pretty good, outrunning a cyclist crawling up the slope.

There was still lots of traffic though, running The Path, The Stairs and the trail along the bluff. And lots of dogs, too. All kinds, from a passive aggressive border collie who fought against the leash by lying down in the middle of the path, to almost colliding with a Great Dane ambling back and forth along the path. Then some stretching paces to my finish line and short cool down walk home.

Still fighting the cough. It came out every once in awhile, not severe enough to slow me down, but annoying. Hope the darn thing goes away soon.

Yesterday's run:
Distance: 10.29 Time: 57:37
Average speed: 5:35 min/km. (10.72 kph)

Shoes: New Balance 769 (Blue).
Today's earworm: Just L n K.
Weather: Cloudy and 9C.

1 comment:

Revrunner said...

Yeah, being a cyclist myself and observing the behavior of some of my fellow cyclists, I'd say their "safe practices" slide a lot more than they should. God help us all if they are as obnoxious in a car as they are on a bike!