Sunday, February 28, 2010

Vitamin D Run

First run in shorts this year! It's wonderful out there. Wish the run was better, but it was still pretty good.

I started to stiffen up again in the lower legs, and felt that heaviness too. It felt like each foot strike was a lot harder than it should be. It was very much like the runs in early December. I was stiff and sore for the first thirty minutes, but was sure I'd eventually loosen up a little.

Just after crossing the river at Crowchild, I finally did start to loosen up. There was a breeze that I hadn't noticed earlier on my naked pasty white legs, and shortly after I noticed that they didn't hurt much any more.

With the temperature climbing and the sun in a clear sky, the paths were full of runners, and a lot of walkers. Not crowded, but busy. The occasional patches of ice were already turning into slush, and skirting the couple of really big ponds meant picking my way across near mud rather than frozen ground.

At the fifty minute mark, I noticed I was pretty much where I usually am, which meant I wasn't being slow. My pace was quite respectable. I rounded Angel's Cafe as usual, and started back home. As usual, the next couple of intervals were my fastest. For all the achy start, it was a very normal run.

Ran along Memorial, climbed The Path, ran the edge of the bluff and then home.

Sunday's run:
Distance: 16.54 Time: 1:34:11
Average speed: 5:41 min/km. (10.54 kph)
Rest distance: 0.95 km. Rest time: 10:00.
Total distance: 17.49 km. Total time: 1:44:11.

Shoes: New Balance 769 (blue).
Today's earworm: Sunny L n K tunes.
Weather: Sunny and 3C at the start, 5C at the finish.

1 comment:

Alexandra said...

Yippie for Vitamin D Runs! It was a great day to be on the pathway!