Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Trying to Get Serious

I'm back out there, and will be trying to stay to a schedule again, and also to get back into some serious distances. I ran a lot of 7 km runs last year, which seems like a bare minimum for bothering to get out and run. So I'm going to try and get more 10 km runs in this year. No more slackin'!

Right after getting home from work, I was changed and heading toward the bluff. It's been melting a lot, being way too warm for February. A few puddles and lots of slushy spots to dodge. The path along the top of the bluff was soft, but not so much as to be slushy.

The Path Under The Stairs was mostly dry and there was the usual monster puddle at the bottom of the stairs to skirt. I trotted up on the bridge toward Prince's Island, but took the ramp down to the path along the berm once I crossed Memorial Drive.

There were a few puddles along the way. At the City Parks office at the north end of Louise Bridge, the detour around all the construction mess was a little muddy, but I managed to skip across most of it. After that, it was straight through running.

I almost hesitated at the Metawa Bridge, but I'm determined to get distance in now, so I continued past it, crossing at Crowchild less than ten minutes later. Running felt good.

Nothing eventful happened after that, just straight running along Bow Trail and then to the promenade. I crossed Prince's Island and the foot bridge, and then bounced up the two flights of The Stairs to The Path.

And the sun came out. Just for a bit, it was sunny on the slog up The Path. At the top, I turned into the sun and ran along the bluff to 4th Street, picked my way through the slush to cross the street and tip toe along the sidewalk to my finish.

Tuesday's run:
Distance: 10.15 Time: 59:28
Average speed: 5:51 min/km. (10.24 kph)

Shoes: New Balance 769 (Blue).
Today's earworm: ABCDEFGHIJKMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

No comments: