Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Running In the Late Afternoon

It's so nice to have sunset getting later now. I got home from work a bit later than I wanted to, and went right back out again. I dressed lighter this time, actually about right for the temperature and the wind. I was actually debating whether or not to wear shorts.

The street to the bluff is almost clear down the middle, and the sidewalk along Cresent Road has only a couple of big puddles to skirt around. The trail on the bluff wasn't quite slushy, but it was soft.

The Path Under The Stairs was clear, but the big puddle that forms at the bottom of the stairs was big as ever. I tiptoed around that OK too. Even on the trail along Memorial there were a few big ponds, and I had to skip along the edges to get around them.

Mostly though, it was just good running. I didn't feel wonderful great, but good. A comfortable run, not too many aches and pains, none memorable. Good speed, good feeling.

I was pretty focused though, mostly head down all the way. It's OK running like that, but I like to be more awake. Runners can be so inward focused sometimes. I sometimes think I'm like a tourist, and gotta look around and take stuff in.

I'm typing this as the Ladies Short Program runs in another window. My internet connection is too choppy to enjoy something like figure skating. Great music though; I love Prokofiev. German girl is skating, I think.

The run was pretty standard for me all the way back to The Stairs. I climbed the two flights as usual, but instead of taking the landing to The Path, I just kept going. I managed to run all but the last three flights, about three quarters of the way up. I thought that was pretty good considering I've not been on The Stairs for a couple of weeks.

At the top, I scruntched along the top of the bluff, then crossed to the sidewalk on the other side of the street. Lots of wet ice in places so I was seeking some clear pavement. More puddles to skip past too.

A good night, and a good run.

Tuesday's run:
Distance: 10.12 Time: 55:55
Average speed: 5:31 min/km. (10.86 kph)

Shoes: New Balance 769 (Blue).
Today's earworm: L n K in La La Land.
Weather: Mainly sunny and 2C.

1 comment:

Revrunner said...

I guess a lot of us are watching the Olympics. I enjoyed watching Mirai Nagasu skate last night to the Pirates of the Caribbean theme tune.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVmjAM5o1jg