Sunday, February 14, 2010

Recovery Mode

Man! It's been a crummy couple of weeks. I'm still not one hundred percent, but much better than I was a week ago.

Back on January 30, online registration opened for the Police Half Marathon at 8:00 am, and by 8:20 I was signed up. And while I was at it, I signed up for the Calgary Half Marathon, and oh what the heck, signed up for the Mother's Day Run too.

Within an hour of all that my throat got scratchy and my chest got heavy, and by evening I was completely stuffed up. Now, two weeks later, I still feel a little heavy in the chest, but it was still good running.

The fog we've had here for the past week is still hanging around, the trees are all frosty and the upper reaches of the downtown skyline is lost in the clouds. As I crossed the Centre Street bridge, there was a spirited crowd of runners crossing below me, running along Memorial.

The promenade wasn't too exciting, but at the C-Train bridge there was a car parked in the middle of the promenade and someone standing beside it, waving a stream of runners crossing the bridge to turn west. I caught up to one runner for a few minutes and discovered it was the Hypothermic Half Marathon. I had tried to sign up for that a few weeks ago, but it was full up, and considering how my running has been stymied by this cold the last couple of weeks, that's probably not a bad thing.

The crowd was directed up and over the Metawa Bridge at 14th Street, while I continued along the river. I was hoping I could manage a 10K run today, but was prepared to cut it short if I felt I was pushing it. Passing the Metawa committed me to ten kilometres unless I turned around and retraced my steps. There were moments when my chest felt a little heavy but mostly I was feeling good.

After crossing the river under Crowchild Trail, I found myself swimming upstream against the half-marathoners. I think I was catching the last of them, as the crowd petered out by the time I was along side the CBC studios.

This wasn't my fastest run, but it was much better that I had any reason to expect. The Path Under The Stairs slowed me down lots and at the top of that long hill, I decided to shortcut home by 2nd Street. I was done.

Tuesday's run:
Distance: 10.33 Time: 1:02:49
Average speed: 6:04 min/km. (9.87 kph)

Shoes: New Balance 769 (Blue).
Today's earworm: Wistful sad songs.

3 comments:

Revrunner said...

Glad to here from you again and that you're feeling better. I know it's tough, though, not to be able to run. I've felt great this past week or so, but just unable to run because of the deep snow that's piled up.

Alexandra said...

I love the frosty look on the trees by the river. I'm signed up for the Police Half and the Calgary half too. Hope you continue to feel better and can get back to your longer runs.

ChrisC said...

I always find it good to get out when I am stuffed up, it seems to clear the pipes. We saw the back of the pack hypothermic halfers on our way back into town. Seemed like a nicer day than usual for the race.