Sunday, January 24, 2010

Some Sort-of-New Snow

There wasn't too much of it, but where it hadn't been brushed off the paths, it was like running on a layer of wet sand. An occasionally, where the path had been salted, a layer of wet sugar. Both kinds tended to stick to my shoes so I felt at times like I was running with lumps under my feet.

It felt a lot colder this morning, too, when I was first out. So I added a layer in getting ready to run. It was too extreme a case of over-dressing, but I was a little warm for most of the run.

It was still kinda cold, though. And yet there were a lot of people out. Lots of large groups and pairs. I like when there are lots out, because it gives the paths a good energy.

I had a slow start, with that weird wet-sugar snow on the Centre Street bridge. But even along the promenade, I wasn't setting records. I felt good, and my pace seemed right on, but the GPS said otherwise. Anyway, after thirty minutes I was doing much better.

The underpass under the Louise bridge near 10th Street is still clear. The ice was scraped out and piled up along the river bank. It feels like you're running in an ice trench. It looks very dramatic and is quite lovely.

Not much else was striking about the run. I knew I was a little slow as it wasn't too long before the one hour mark that I circled Angel's Cage. I usually get there about 53 or 54 minutes, but today it was more like 58 minutes. That doesn't sound like a lot, but it's very noticeable.

On the homeward leg, I was a little faster to start, but slowed down a lot after 10th Street. The climb up The Path wasn't hard, but I was almost out of gas, and the run along the bluff was more of a shuffle.

Still, I finished, and as always, I'm glad I got out.

Sunday's run:
Distance: 16.34 Time: 1:39:34
Average speed: 6:05 min/km. (9.85 kph)
Rest distance: 1.11 km. Rest time: 11:00.
Total distance: 17.45 km. Total time: 1:50:34.

Shoes: New Balance 769 (blue).
Today's earworm: fun L n K.

1 comment:

none said...

Nice. That's faster than my long distance times. 5K in 21 minutes is my best.