Friday, February 19, 2010

Crisp Friday Morning

I was out for dinner last night, but unlike what I usually do, which is skip the Thursday night run, I decided to get it in this morning. Yet I'm still fighting off the lethargy that's been dogging me since November.

I felt slow and wheezy, but still did a pretty respectable job. It's icy as heck, but as I started, it hadn't warmed up enough to make things slick. Lots of crunching. It had started out as a clear sunny day at sunrise, (now happening before 8:00 am - spring is a-comin'!) it had clouded over with that high altitude haze that just obscures the sun.

The run outbound was quiet, a couple of people out. I seemed to catch up to a relative crowd just before the Crowchild bridge of about five or six runners and walkers. Across the bridge is was about the same, only more spread out.

I like the ice patches on the trails when it's leaning toward spring. They are flat and smooth, and in the morning when they are cold and still dry, they just the right slipperiness for a bit of a slide. Usually they are about two paces long, so they fit perfectly into the rhythm of my running.

I wasn't fast on this run, but I was still under 6 min/km, which has been my goal to stay under this past month. Even with the long plod up The Path Under The Stairs, I managed to keep my average pace below that line.

The run finished crunching along the top of the bluff and then picking my way along the crusty ruts of 4th Street.

A belated thanks to RevRunner, Alexandra and ChrisC for their comments. It's good to hear from other runners when motivation and illness slow ya down. Cheers! I finally cracked 100 km cumulative distance for the year so far, too.

Tuesday's run:
Distance: 10.17 Time: 1:00:31
Average speed: 5:56 min/km. (10.08 kph)

Shoes: New Balance 769 (Blue).
Today's earworm: La-la-la, la-Lo-la, L n K.

1 comment:

Revrunner said...

Sounds like you could have entitled today's blog "Slip & Slide". Our trails here are in similar shape, only it's more slip than slide right now, I'm afraid.