Sunday, February 01, 2009

Fast!

Really fast, for me. I seem to have all the energy this morning. I'm pretty sure I've had the legs to keep me going at a pretty fast pace, but never the lungs. Today, it wasn't even difficult.

Maybe it's not getting out Thursdays, and having that five day recovery from the Tuesday night run. Anyway, it felt awfully good out there this morning.

Not as warm as I was hoping but not too bad. There didn't seem to be any wind, until I got to the bottom of the Centre Street bridge and onto the promenade. Heading west, I was definitely facing a headwind, light as it was.

After about 15 minutes of running, it ceased to be a problem as I warmed up. It still felt chilly, and there were a surprising number of people out for how cold it felt. Maybe those fair weather runners are getting a little cabin fever.

Crossed the river under Crowchild, and continued west, where it felt like I was getting faster and faster. I had someone drafting me for one interval and that pushed me harder. Still, the breathing was even, and that's the sign that I'm not pushing too hard.

Then around Angel's and back toward downtown. I run timed intervals, nine minutes of running with a one minute walk break. I've managed 1.8 km in the nine minutes (5:00/km) several times, but never have I done 1.9 km (4:45/km). That was a surprise, as usually I'm more around 5:45/km.

Coming up toward the ramp up to the bridge over Memorial, I was trying to throttle back, knowing The Stairs would take all the breath I had, but it was impossible. I was totally winded at the top of The Stairs, so had to walk for a few metres.

Distance: 16.29 Time: 1:25:09
Average speed: 5:13 min/km. (11.48 kph)
Rest distance: .8073 km. Rest time: 9:00.
Total distance: 17.10 km. Total time: 1:340:09.

Shoes: Asics GT-2130.
Today's earworm: Nothing today, just too darn involved in the running.

Weather: Sunny and -10C, climbing to -4C.

No comments: