Tuesday, July 29, 2008

600!

My 600th post, that is. Running since April 5, 2004, writing about it here since October 24 of the same year. My brother suggested it would be a good way for him and my sister and I to stay motivated. I don't know that either of them even runs any more.

Today is the penultimate day at my current job. The ladies decided to treat me to a Japanese take-out lunch. I've been told not to bring lunch tomorrow as well. And the weekend wasn't the most nutritionally disciplined. (Saturday lunch was a big bag of ripple chips and jalapeno dip.) So I supposed I have a reason for leaden legs and tiny lungs.

Anyway, down to the river, across to Prince's Island and along the promenade. Slog, slog, legs of lead. I seriously considered short-cutting at the C-Train bridge. But I've been worn down worse and finished, so I kept at it.

Even so, the 14th Street bridge was a welcome halfway point. And no breeze, hardly. I was feeling the sun, and the bridge left me exposed to it. Dropping down into the shade on the north side of the river was welcome, as was the chance to run beside the paved path on well-worn dirt.

A skater blew past me near the ramp up to the pedestrian bridge, but he lost all his speed on the ramp so I passsed him. Same with the cyclist who passed me at the bottom of The Path Under The Stairs, who couldn't sustain any speed on the steep part. (That happens a lot, actually.)

At the top I thought about cutting across and shortening the run, but by the time I finished considering such a move, I was alreasy most of the way through the long way. Now I'm writing this and prepping to satisfy a pasta craving. Yum.

Distance: 7.34 km. Time: 39:46
Average speed: 5:24 min/km (11.2 kph).

Shoes: New Balance 1061.

Weather: Sunny and 26C.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow! Your brother isn't running any more! That's just crazy!