Sunday, March 30, 2008

Snowy and a Little Splishy-Splashy

Wotta surprise this morning - all this snow! I woke up a little early, thinking it was a lot later, cuz it seemed so bright out. But it was just the street lighting bouncing between the low cloud and about 20 cm of new snow, and it was still coming down.

I got out a little after noon, into the last few flakes. Breaks in the cloud cover had already let the sun at a lot of the snow, and melting was well underway, which was good cuz those side streets are hell to run on when they're icy.

By the time I got to the bottom of The Path Under The Stairs, there were actually dry stretches of path, although the foot bridge was a little slushy. Across the river it was all dry pavement.

I was in great shape today, feeling fast and energetic. At the thirty minute mark I was across the Crowchild bridge and on the trail heading west toward Edworthy. Not a lot of runners out, but it was by no means lonely. Occasionally the traffic would attempt to spray the unwary from a pothole full of water.

After a bathroom break, I circled Angel's Cafe and headed back, still with lots of energy. I don't know what that was all about but I felt like I was back at The Path in near record time. I powered up The Path and along the bluff to 4th Street, then back towards home.

Today's run:
Distance: 16.14 km. Time: 1:27:35 Average speed: 11.1 kph. (5:26 min/km)
Rest distance: 998.5 m. Rest time: 9:00.
Total distance: 17.14 km. Total time: 1:36:35.

Shoes: New Balance 1061.

Weather: Light snow and -8C to start, ending with cloud and -6C.

1 comment:

Alexandra said...

You were smart going for your run a little after noon! Myself and about 70 or 80 others I saw along the way got our run in, in the early morning hours around 8:00 8:30 am. We were out before the plow and had to clear our own path, at times not really being able to tell where the pathway was. It was quite a work out!