Friday, March 21, 2008

A Dead Battery and a Nice Trip

Just to say, I did get out last Tuesday, and then didn't get around to writing about it. I also left the Garmin on, with the intention of writing it up, but there ya go. I believe it was a very nice run, though I can't remember much of it.

I also intended to go last night as soon as I got home from work, but I just didn't have the energy. For a short week, it was pretty long and stressful.

So I went this morning after giving breakfast plenty of time to settle. Absolutely a beautiful morning, clear and sunny. I went with shorts and tee, although that light breeze from the northwest had me thinking second thoughts about that decision. It didn't take long to get warm though.

The paths were not as busy as I thought they would be, but then I was out pretty late in the morning. Even so, there were a lot of runners out. On the back side of the run, the south side of the river, there's a retaining wall that holds the path up beside the river. There's also a strip of green between the path and Bow Trail (well, hopefully it'll be green in a month or two). Bike and foot traffic has made a path that goes onto this green space and up against the guard rail along Bow Trail, and I've always noticed the end of it, but never the start.

So today I did see it, and decided to try it out for a little variety. Glancing at the Garmin (it said I'd run 6.04 km) was when a protruding boulder rammed the toe of my shoe, and in stretching to keep my balance, I could feel the over-extension in the hip flexor. This is the one that troubled me so much after the Vancouver marathon.

It took a couple of hundred metres of running a little slower to work out the kinks in that, but it felt fine after that, And then, just as I approached the 10th Street underpass, the Garmin seemed stuck on 6.39 metres. I glanced at it after I passed under 10th Street, and by then it had shut down, completely drained of power. I'm surprised it lasted as long as it did, given that I left it on the other day and it probably ran out of juice from that.

So instead of taking Centre Street and Nony's Awful Little Hill, I stuck to The Path Under The Stairs, since I know almost exactly how much distance that gives me. (There are always excuses to shorten a run, and for some reason this time I succumbed to it. I can also tell myself that I'm saving myself for the Sunday long run)

Still a great run, and it feels great to be in shorts and t-shirts again.

Tuesday's run:
Distance: 7.10 km. Time: 38:31.
Average speed: 11.1 kph (5:25 min/km).

Shoes: New Balance 1061.

Weather: I think it was pretty nice out.

Today's run (Est. from data present when the Garmin died)
Distance: 10.00 km. Time: 53:50.
Average speed: 11.1 kph (5:23 min/km).

Shoes: New Balance 1061.

Weather: Cloudy and 10C with a 41 km wind gusting to 58 km.

No comments: