Sunday, March 23, 2008

The Reservoir

Just to shake things up a little, I thought I'd try a circuit of the Glenmore Reservoir. It's supposed to be about 17 km around, so that would be a perfect distance, roughly the same as run to Edworthy and back from my home.

It took a little while to get organized - nothing like turning around to go home to get the forgotten stuff, but it only happened once (this time...). I drove straight down Crowchild to the very end, parking in North Glenmore Park near the Rowing Club clubhouse.

Nony and I had run this a couple of times last year, just across the Weaselhead Flats and back. It started out cloudy and cool, but I realized I was overdressed (again!) after a half a kilometre. And once down the hill and on the flats, the sun was out and it really started to warm up. Too chicken to dress light, or too dumb to wear layers.

But it wasn't that bad. A little ice was still on the north side, just before the big hill, since that part is so sheltered. At the top it was straight slogging to the Sailing Club. And a little ways past that, I was in new territory.

I'd walked this stretch, toward Glenmore Landing, last year (or maybe the year before) and hadn't really gone that far. I knew there was construction to get around and that parts of the trail were closed because of that. A friend had walked it a couple of weeks ago, and he had filled me in on it. Once I got to Heritage Park it was a little confusing, but I quickly sorted it out.

Across the parking lot, through Eagle Ridge, and behind the Rockyview hospital, and then on the overpass over the off ramp from east-bound Glenmore to south-bound 14th Street. Once I was across and looking back at the construction on Glenmore, I noticed the loop under the overpass and along side Glenmore causeway. That probably would have taken a couple of kilometres off, but what the heck, I was out for distance.

Over the dam and it's noisy piping (a gurgly 36" that blocks the view to the north from the top of the dam), then up along side the water treatment plant and the tennis academy, and I was following the fence around the Lakeview Golf Club. Over the floating overpass (it said FLOATING in big letters on the span over Glenmore), then on the other side I stayed left.

That took me along side the Earl Grey Golf Club, and added to my distance a little, since I got a little lost in the suburban cresents around there. But I finally got back to the path, and after that, it was down the side of Crowchild to the rowing club house, and my car.

Today's run:
Distance: 16.15 km. Time: 1:32:44 Average speed: 10.4 kph. (5:45 min/km)
Rest distance: 1.02 km. Rest time: 10:00.
Total distance: 17.16 km. Total time: 1:42:44.

Shoes: New Balance 1061.

Weather: Cloudy and 4C to start, ending with sun and 12C.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Calgary runner here. I've done this loop many times over the last 2 summers. I noticed the date of your post. You ran that in March? You are hardcore