Monday, July 25, 2005

After a Wonderful Hike

Spent Saturday morning climbing to a fire lookout on a peak called Hailstone Butte. Fabulous climb, beautiful scenery, forgot my camera and my GPS. Rats!

But it did wonders for loosening up the legs. When we got to the parking area, my knees were not feeling well at all. But after five minutes of walking up the valley toward the peak, I forgot all about them. Nothing like strenuous hike through great scenery with delightful company.

So tonight's run was a bit of a mystery. I had an awful, sleepless night, and an equally awful, semi-conscious day, which might have contributed. The first couple of intervals just hurt. I was ready to call it a day by the time I got to Memorial. But for some reason, after that, everything started to iron itself out. I pushed fairly hard, keeping the speed up, and I think that softens my stride somehow. I don't strike the pavement quite so hard, while at the same time I'm stretching things a little more.

Today's run:
Distance: 8.76 km. Time: 47:00. Average speed: 11.2 kph.
Rest distance: 541.2 m. Rest time: 5:00.
Total distance: 9.30 km. Total time: 52:00.

Weather: Sunny and 18C. Great evening, with lots of people out and about.

No comments: