Sunday, August 22, 2010

Smokin'!

Well something is, and I think it's British Columbia. The haze settled over us on Thursday, and my lack of motivation jumped all over that for a ready made excuse. Too smokey to run. All that particulate matter just ain't no good for the lungs.

But it didn't smell smokey this morning. Not like the damp campfire smell that was there a couple of days ago, evoking memories of soggy camping trips of long ago. Does that make it healthier?

This morning, I took a deep breath (koff, koff...) and headed out. It's been cool today, not much good for those longing for real summer, but kind of good for running. I think a lot of people were fed up with waiting for the air to clear. There are loads of people out running this morning.

I wasn't setting any speed records. I guess not getting out there has caught up to me. I was slow. At least a full ten minutes longer than usual to run this distance. I don't think too much about it, I was just happy to finally get off my duff and get out there.

The smoke wasn't noticeable at all, though I did worry about my lungs filtering all that particulate matter from my exhalations. I think we're good, but please, B.C., the bylaw clearly states, no smoking within 5 metres of the entrance, so if you could just take it down the street a little....? Thanks!
L n K
Today's run:
Distance: 16.45 Time: 1:39:22
Average speed: 6:02 min/km. (9.93 kph)
Rest distance: 1.08 km. Rest time: 11:00.
Total distance: 17.53 km. Total time: 1:50:22
Shoes: New Balance 769 (Yellow 2).

No comments: