Sunday, March 14, 2010

Wow, Good Run!

That was some run. Felt really fast, and I think it actually was. It also felt really good. I do feel it in the hips though.

It's one of those early spring mornings (being still winter after all) where it clear and bright and sunny...and cold. How to dress? I opted for a long sleeve tee and my vest, along with the running tights. The first twenty minutes were darn chilly.

But what a busy day. Lots of people out running, big groups and small, and lots of singles. It felt great to be out in the middle of it.

Along Memorial both paths were busy. I tried the sprints in the middle of the running intervals again. Breathing was good, the sprint was good, everything was good. Felt the usual aches in the knees, the hips, the shins (darn those shins), but those ones don't last past the post-run stretch.

The run to Edworthy was nice, and the temperature had gone up considerably by then. I had a light pair of gloves that came off about then, and I rounded Angel's Cafe a few minutes ahead of my usual time.

The wind was from the west as usual, so for the return trip I had the wind at my back the sun at my front. I warmed up considerably. My sunglasses tended to fog up a little at times.

The whole run back was just as nice as the run out. To do the sprint, I run normally for about four minutes, run hard for one minute, and run normally for another four minutes. I noticed my pace after the one minute hard run was faster than my pace before it. The interval distances I was seeing on the Garmin showed I was moving faster too.

I don't know if it all matters that much. It would be nice to gain a new PR this year for the half marathon. The way I feel right now I think I can beat my old one of 1:50:03. It would be kinda cool to have a one hour and forty-something on my wall.

Not the goal though. I like running fast, but fast for me isn't all that fast. I like doing the races, and I like that I finish them, however long I take. I like that it keeps me in decent shape, too. As long as I'm moving, I think I'm doing good.

Man, the numbers almost look rounded!

Today's run:
Distance: 16.50 Time: 1:30:00
Average speed: 5:27 min/km. (11.00 kph)
Rest distance: .99 km. Rest time: 9:30.
Total distance: 17.49 km. Total time: 1:39:30.

Shoes: New Balance 769 (blue).
Today's earworm: Heart and L n K Soul .
Weather: Sunny and -7C at the start, -2C at the finish.

No comments: