Sunday, March 21, 2010

Windy in the Hat

Not really, not where I was. I think I was on the lee side of the neighbourhood, and I ran through a lot of sheltered area.

I was in Medicine Hat, visiting my parents. I'd always thought that running the path along the valley that borders their neighbourhood would be an interesting run. The paved path twists along the prairie dipping into draws and coulees, sometimes edging a bluff that overlooks the rail line that goes to Saskatchewan. In some places the path is very steep so it's a little challenging going up or going down.

I left my parents place and walked a block or so before beginning the run. I ran down Cameron Road to the end, taking a little jog southward along Ross Glen Drive to where the trail came up to the street. The first stretch down into the valley was long and gradual. The slope slowed me down, as I don't have the flexibility that I used to have for downhill running.

The trail joined the one that continues in both directions along the edge of the valley, and for awhile, I was, elevation wise, halfway between street level and the valley floor. Then this wicked steep stretch, that looked and felt like nearly straight up maybe 15 metres. A little ways after that, and it dropped again, just as far and just as steep.

I was feeling it. Those cramps in the shins were persistent. On my mostly flat usual path here in Calgary, the cramps come for a bit, not too forcefully, and then go away after thirty or forty minutes. But after the first steep climb and descent this morning, they were undeniably there, and they were not going to go away.

That part was the steepest up and down, I think, of the whole run. There were several more, but not as dramatic. I ran across dry prairie, occasionally dipping into coulees, and across wooden bridges. There are several places where they cross the outflow of natural springs. Lots of flowing water, and last years weeds and cattails are thick in places.

I passed three intersections where spur paths lead back into the neighbourhood, but kept to the open prairie, the path quickly moved back from the edge of the valley, and finally made a last turn back to the streets and sidewalks. I followed, and turned to run northward along Carry Drive.

The sidewalks lasted for two blocks. Then I crossed Carry Drive at the top of the long hill to South Railway Street. It's not very steep, but it seemed to go forever, in reality at least half a kilometre.

At the bottom a trail lead along the bottom of the bluff. It was almost wide enough to be a street, a rather narrow one. And it turns out that it was, sort of. After another half kilometre, it veered across the small creek it had been following, as it came on what looked like a small farm yard. When things turn green, I can imagine the place to be a peaceful and private spot for whoever lives there, even with all the pedestrian and bicycle traffic that must travel along there.

Once across the creek, there was a large flat field, well trimmed, brown as everything else. I came up along side one of the commercial grain elevators that were built years ago on the flood plain in the valley. This one had a well faded logo painted on the side. Near as I could make out, Oglevie's Royal Household, registered trade mark. By the looks of it, it may actually be a flour mill.

A little way past that, and I was at Dunmore Road, just where it reaches the bottom of the hill. I ran under Dunmore and past a few metres, before deciding to turn and retrace my steps. I'd been running for about fifty minutes at that point.

Running beside the flour mill, I noticed the shin cramps were mostly gone. And it was warming up. I stripped of my wind breaker and tied the sleeves around my waist. At Carry Drive, the bottom of that long hill, I looked up with resignation. Climb I must. But you know, it wasn't half bad. The hill is long but not all that steep. If felt kinda good to run up that grade.

I crossed Carry at the top and then took the path into the prairie again. I don't thing there are many runners on that path. I met several walkers with dogs, and almost all reigned the dogs in as I passed, as if the dogs might be tempted to chase. I wasn't concerned; they were all friendly breeds, and just seemed to want to say hi.

I finished on that last steep up and down, then up to street level on Ross Glen Drive, then Cameron Road back to my parents place. No speed record today with all that up and down, but it was fun once I loosened up those cramps.

Today's run:
Distance: 13.93 Time: 1:26:33
Average speed: 6:12 min/km. (9.66 kph)
Rest distance: .76 km. Rest time: 9:00.
Total distance: 14.69 km. Total time: 1:35:33.

Shoes: New Balance 769 (blue).
Today's earworm: The Looney Tunes opening theme of all things! What's up, L n K?
Weather: Cloudy and 3C at the start, 8C at the finish, and breezy.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Interesting to read about a city where I used to live.

Nony