Tuesday, March 09, 2010

Nope, It's Still Winter...

Not really. It has cooled off, and gotten windy, and we got a little bit of snow. I dressed for it, and it was all right to run in. It'll be back to spring in a couple of days.

It was a pretty good run though. I started off running into an east wind along the top of the bluff and was relieved to turn the hairpin to head down The Path. By the time I got to the bottom, I'd forgot about it.

On surprise was that the underpass under the Louise Bridge at the north end was open. Last time I looked it was still burried under a few feet of ice, but it's been cleared out and the water level on the river is actually a couple of feet below the walkway.

The rest of the run along the north side of the river was quite uneventful. I crossed at Crowchild, as usual, and ran back toward downtown, as usual. Trundled along the promenade, as usual, and crossed Prince's Island, as usual.

Actually I was looking inward a little, pushing a little bit. It would have been easy to turn off the brain and plod along, but I thought about where my feet were falling, and trying to stretch a little more with each stride. I don't think I made a huge difference, but it felt marvelously different.

At the traffic jam on The Stairs, I bounced up to The Path, and then did the same. Instead of plodding up with little short steps in a grumbling shuffle, I stretched a little. My breathing has really stretched, so to speak, and I noticed. I was puffing hard, but still had lots by the time I got to the top. I hit the trail on the top of the bluff without slowing down, and after a block, I was breathing quite normally for regular running.

I wonder if getting back to the 10 km runs has helped. Lately I've had lots of gas in the later stages of a run. I really notice it on Sunday mornings. Pushing harder so I can push harder, so to speak.

Tuesday's run:
Distance: 10.07 Time: 56:43
Average speed: 5:37 min/km. (10.65 kph)

Shoes: New Balance 769 (Blue).
Today's earworm: Heart and Soul L n K.
Weather: Cloudy and -1C.

No comments: