Monday, November 30, 2009

After the Blizzard

Such as it was. It snowed Friday night after it rained and then it froze and driving was apparently not fun. There was some melting the next day, but it was mostly overcast, and not all that warm. So by Sunday morning there was still lots of ice and packed snow.

I started down the street toward the bluff and it was treacherous, with a good coat of ice and the temperatures warming up to well above freezing. I stayed on the sidewalk rather than run on Crescent Road, much better but still slippery.

Nony's Awful Little Hill wasn't bad, with just one short stretch where I opted to pick my way through the weeds on the side, and the Centre Street bridge was also a littel icy. But once I got off the bridge and on to the promenade, there was no ice at all.

My big problem was just keeping going. I felt shin splints, not debilitating, but hurting. And I had no energy. My pace was way off. I usually try to at least stay to less than 6 minutes per kilometre, but that was a far off goal.

I kept plodding. I felt I had the stamina, just not the strength for my usual speed. The shin splints stayed with me, against my hope that they would disappear if I just kept moving.

By the time I crossed under Crowchild, the legs felt better, and I was feeling a little bit looser. But still my speed was staying down. I stayed on the bike path on the way to Edworthy, as it had been cleared some and there was lots of packed snow where it wasn't bare pavement. By the time I passed the Extreme Bean the shin splints were history.

I think it's partly the shoes. They have just under 700 km on them and they feel heavy and have no bounce, so I think the cushioning in the insole is pretty much gone. On top of that was a night of celebration, though it was low key, and I certainly wasn't hung over, just very tired.

I rounded Angel's Cafe at least five minutes slower than usual. I switched to the pedestrian path, which isn't cleared in the winter. The snow was packed and there was a little more of it, but just fine for running. Further evidence that my shoes had reached their end was how jarring each step felt. I wasn't hurting by this time, but just felt the fatigue.

The rest of the run went by. I just wanted to get to the end. The Path Under The Stairs wasn't any more onerous than usual, but I was already done before I got there. Running along the top of the bluff, I just wanted to get to the end, and never thought to check out the mountains.

About 15 minutes longer than I usually run this one. I was very glad to be done this run.

Today's run:
Distance: 16.51 Time: 1:45:47
Average speed: 6:28 min/km. (9.36 kph)
Rest distance: 0.89 km. Rest time: 11:30.
Total distance: 17.34 km. Total time: 1:57:17.

Shoes: New Balance 769.
Today's earworm: All the Hits on L n K.

No comments: