Sunday, November 15, 2009

Chinooky Run

Windy as heck out there this morning, and the temperature had been on a steady climb since late last night. Not super warm but the trend was typical of a chinook.

I wandered westward from my front door toward the nearest mailbox, dropping in a couple of envelopes. And from there I walked south for about a block before the GPS finally found itself. This put me almost half a kilometer farther from my usual start.

Out on to the bluff, with a brisk and slightly chilly wind at my back. There weren't a lot of people out up there, and it was quiet all the way to the Centre Street bridge. Even there, there was no one around.

I passed a couple of guys doing tai chi by Sen Lok Park, then past the dam and duck pond to find orange cones across my path at Eau Claire. I was about an hour and twenty minutes ahead of the Last Chance Half Marathon. I wasn't sure of the start time, but hoped I would be out of the way when it started.

The wind was pretty fierce while running west. Open stretches along the south side of the river past the promenade were where it really got in the way, and I was happy to get into the bush near The Pumphouse.

At Crowchild, the race cones directed traffic onto the footbridge across the river. I kept going straight. I thought that any ice in the sheltered stretch below Spruce Cliff, left from the snows we had a few weeks ago, would be melted by now. I forgot about the natural springs.

The usual drainage for the springs was iced up and blocked and flow is crossing the path. Ice is building up in a few places and it's wet with new water flowing over it. Extremely slippery. I hugged the fence and kept to the strip of leaves piled against it, but still managed to get one foot wet.

After the ice it was clear and almost windless with the bush close into the path. The only spot where the wind made itself felt was just before crossing the tracks into the picnic area of Edworthy.

Across the river, the wind was at my back, and I began to feel a little overdressed. Without the wind, it would have been a good day for shorts. The few trees along the river bank did little to block the wind, so I was glad to have it behind me.

Near Crowchild, I passed the turn around point for the race, and one of the lead runners was just arriving. And nearing Crowchild itself, I met two more coming off the ramp up to the footbridge. Those two too a little while to catch up to me, but not really that long. I can't even imagine keeping up a pace like that for 21 kilometres.

Walkers must have started much earlier as I began to pass many with the racing bibs. Meanwhile across the river, the path was positively crowded. The three kilometre marker was about half way between 14th Street and Crowchild, so the field wouldn't have had time to spread out too much by then.

I kept passing walkers and being passed by runners as I continued along Memorial Drive. At the ramp to the foot bridge to Prince's Island, there was a small crowd. They cheered and clapped as one of the runners that had just passed me trundled by them. They were conspicuously quiet as I came up to them, although there was one guy self consciously clapping with a subdued woohoo to go with it.

The Path Under The Stairs was, as usual, strenuous and so not my favourite part of the run. At the top I was glad to see the chinook arch had moved significantly eastward. The mountains were unobscured and in full sunlight, stark against the pale blue of the sky near the horizon.

I was running full on into that blasted wind and was glad to finally turn northward toward my finish line.

Today's run:
Distance: 17.02 Time: 1:37:32
Average speed: 5:43 min/km. (10.47 kph)
Rest distance: 1.08 km. Rest time: 10:00.
Total distance: 18.10 km. Total time: 1:47:32.

Shoes: New Balance 769.
Today's earworm: L n K.

Weather: Cloudy and 7C.

No comments: