Tuesday, November 17, 2009

The Wicked Wind from the West

Jeekers, it's some kind of windy out there! Warm enough for shorts and tee, so that was nice, actually spectacular given that it's mid November. But approaching the intersection where I usually start running, there seemed to be a permanent dust devel whipping leaves and other detritus into the air.

I was out at noon again, and it was busy. The Path Under The Stairs and The Stairs themselves were busy, but the start was good. I ran up on the bridge and took the ramp down to the trail beside Memorial Drive.

It wasn't too bad in the trees, but in any clear space, it was a battle against the wind. And I was never sure which way it was coming from, only that it was coming from in front of me.

Someone had pulled in behind me as I took that ramp and they were drafting me, too. It's a little weird having someone just hanging a few feet back off of your shoulder. The awareness that someone is behind you kind of dominates the run, and I find I'm wishing they'd just pass me already.

Anyway, up onto the Metawa Bridge at 14th Street, and down the other side by Bow Trail. Really busy with lots of runners along there. My shadow seemed to fall back a little with the traffic.

After passing the C-Train bridge, and with the widening of the promenade, there was more maneuvering room, but the shadow still took it's time catching up. Finally, just past the helicopter pad, she passed. And I slowed. It was like a pressure valve was suddenly release. Silly, but that's some of the psychology of running.

After that, I crossed Prince's Island and the bridge. I took the two flights of steps up The Stairs to the landing that empties out on The Path. That was slow, with the crowd climbing in front of me. The Path was a slog but I was pushing it, and was breathing hard at the top. The rest of the run was recovering from that effort, trying to get my breathing evened out.

Distance: 7.00 Time: 40:19
Average speed: 5:45 min/km. (10.42 kph)

Shoes: New Balance 769.
Today's earworm: Easy L n K.

Weather: Sunny and 12C

No comments: