Sunday, July 12, 2009

Running in Reverse

Hokey smokes, don't know what happened this morning, but I slept in a lot later than I usually do, so after breakfast, instead of my usual excursion for coffee and a newspaper, I headed directly out to run. Seriously, I slept a good hour and a half later than usual.

Anyway, after my usual breakfast I was into running clothes and out the door. A little too soon after breakfast. It wasn't too bad, though, and I was able to run without problems, although I did feel a little heavy.

It was a pretty uncomplicated run, except I ran in the reverse direction from how I usually run it. How daring of me! I did, out of habit, go about 50 metres toward Centre Street before I remembered I was running the other way, so I back tracked and headed down The Path Under The Stairs.

It's a much quieter run going counterclockwise. I did meet more large groups, both coming and going. Big groups going both ways, too. There weren't too many single runners or pairs though, so I wonder if I was a little early for them on that side of the river. I would be about 45 minutes earlier going that way than coming from the other direction.

I found myself in a race, too, with the occasional sign proclaiming so many kilometres in the Robert Hamilton Memorial Road Race. I've never heard of it before, but it's been around awhile, apparently. I stopped near the finish line at the public washrooms at Edworthy Park.

After crossing the bridge by Angel's Cafe, I was on the trail below Spruce Cliff. It was surprisingly quiet given that it was such a lovely morning. The quiet continued pretty much all the way downtown. Perhaps everyone was tuckered out from the next-to-last day of the Stampede? Sleeping off one too many pancake breakfasts.

Anyway, it was an uneventful finish. I'm still not feeling my best with a cold lingering, so The Path Under The Stairs took some effort. After that, I ran along the bluff and then turned home.

Distance: 16.51 Time: 1:36:21
Average speed: 5:50 min/km. (10.28 kph)
Rest distance: 1.00 km. Rest time: 10:00.
Total distance: 17.51 km. Total time: 1:46:21.

Shoes: New Balance 769.
Today's earworm: L n K.

Weather: A nice sunny morning.

No comments: