Friday, July 24, 2009

Another Hot Week

It's been warm and a little on the humid side, too. And here I am again, not writing until long after I've gone out. Hmmm....

Well, the weekend run was pretty good. I took off the usual way, down to Centre Street and across. The Bow is becoming a pretty dominant item on the downtown landscape now, and it's pretty in-your-face as you cross the bridge.

On to the promenade and along past Eau Claire, pretty steady with runners, given how nice it was. It was a pretty uneventful run actually. At Crowchild, I crossed the river to run on the north side for a change. Crossing to the south side at Edworthy, and along the bottom of Spruce Cliff, it's a beautiful stretch of path. The sun was directly ahead at that time of day, and there was this nice glowing effect with all the trees and bushes back lit.

At Crowchild I crossed again, and continued toward downtown on the north side. Uneventful until I got well past 10th Street, where a fire two nights before had demolished an apartment building. Nothing left but a pile of rubble, still attracting gawkers and being sifted through by the fire guys. For such a huge fire - three alarms and 50 firemen - it was such a small space for an apartment building to have been. No visible damage to buildings on either side, but I wasn't stopping to join the crowd.

This was a longer run. Crossing the river at Crowchild twice, making a figure eight of the route I usually run, seemed to add almost a kilometre. I don't think it's quite that far across the river; the GPS tends to be a little off sometimes.

I think I shall have to consider changing things a bit. I love the run but maybe a change of scenery is in order. I will have to think about that.

Distance: 17.22 Time: 1:39:00
Average speed: 5:44 min/km. (10.44 kph)
Rest distance: 1.26 km. Rest time: 10:10.
Total distance: 18.49 km. Total time: 1:49:10.

No comments: