Sunday, July 26, 2009

I Slept In

Not terribly late, but late enough for me. Up at 7:30, and after mumbling through breakfast and another short lie-down, I got dressed for the part, and went out for my run.

It wasn't real hot, but warm enough. There was a good breeze, too, and that helped although it would have been nice for it to have been a cool breeze. Almost total cloud cover, so it wasn't bright. Actually just a very nice summer morning.

Once on the promenade I started catching up with all kinds of traffic. Lots of people carrying folding chairs and heading to Prince's Island for the last day of the Calgary Folk Festival. A few runners were there, too, and the Sunday morning groups from the Running Room.

I decided to do the figure eight weave again, and crossed the river at Crowchild. About two hundred metres down alongside Parkdale, the sun came out, although we were still surrounded by dark cloud. It was actually a pretty quiet run, and the runners were not nearly as numerable as usual. I don't know if that's from everyone out of town, or because it was becoming too warm for some.

Across the river at Edworthy, I got the full breeze, and it felt wonderful, as it seems slightly cooler over the river. Of course, all that stopped once I was in the trees on the other side of the tracks.

It was really quite nice along the tracks below Spruce Cliff. And here there seemed to be more runners than usual. The trail through Lowrey Gardens was much quieter. Strange.

At Crowchild, I again crossed to the north side and continued along Memorial. The cloud moved back in and there was even a half hearted rain shower for a few minutes. By the time I got past the C-Train bridge, I was feeling a little achy, likely because the previous evening's libations were catching up to me.

At the foot bridge, I was running against a tide of people, who parked by the curling club on Memorial, or on Cresent Road on the bluff, all heading for Prince's Island. By then, the music was underway as well.

The usual finish, climbing The Path Under The Stairs, then along the bluff and homeward.

Distance: 17.10 Time: 1:40:18
Average speed: 5:51 min/km. (10.24 kph)
Rest distance: 1.08 km. Rest time: 11:00.
Total distance: 18.18 km. Total time: 1:51:18.

Shoes: New Balance 769.
Today's earworm: L n K, L n K, L n K.

Weather: Cloudy and 18C.

2 comments:

Alexandra said...

I wish I had your enthusiasm for running! I lost mine and it's no where to be found!

Kelly said...

Not much enthusiasm here either, some days. Just determined to get the heck out there and burn some calories before they hang too far over my belt.