Monday, June 29, 2009

Not the Best of Health

I probably shouldn't have gone out. My throat had been a little scratchy all week but I felt fine through it. Only that morning was I feeling a little less than good.

However, I started out, and resigned myself to going slow. After all, Sundays are for distance, not speed. The first interval went as usual. I ran along the Cresent Road and then down to the Centre Street bridge, passing a fresh burn. The old grass was crisped to black, but this years growth was still thick and green, although it was probably well dried in the fire. The burn had surrounded several clumps of honeysuckle and lilac bush, which frankly looked untouched by flame.

Across the bridge and down by Sein Lok park within the usual time, not doing too badly. The second interval ended just past the Louise Bridge, again about right. After that speed dropped a lot.

I wasn't feeling too bad at all for the most part, but I was moving slower. Near the crossing at Edworthy, I could hear a train coming from behind. I knew I wasn't going to make it to the crossing before it crossed, so I dashed down a trail in the grass, across the tracks, and was well down the path on the other side before it it got near.

Through the picnic grounds at Edworthy and across the bridge, past Angel's Cafe. Ten minutes later, I was feeling a little dragged down. Things began to ache. Or at least ache more noticeably. By the time, I reached Crowchild I was huffing pretty hard. Becuase of my stuffed up sinuses, I was breath dry air, and my throat was feeling a little raw just from that.

By the time I reached the Metawa Bridge, I was panting, not breathing evenly like usual, but like I'd been sprinting up The Path Under The Stairs. Hips and knees were aching, and I think my stride had shrunk a bit.

Near Tenth Street, I was limping on a walk break, just a little too stiff in the hip. So enough. I walked up Tenth, through Sunnyside and up the long sloping path along the bluff to home.

Distance: 13.83 Time: 1:21:04
Average speed: 5:51 min/km. (10.24 kph)
Rest distance: 1.23 km. Rest time: 9:00.
Total distance: 15.06 km. Total time: 1:43:43.

Shoes: New Balance 769.
Today's earworm: Rose Garden by Lynn Anderson to start.

Weather: Sunny and 19C, warming to 23C.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hope you are feeling better soon!!

Nony