Tuesday, June 05, 2007

One Tough Run

I did the distance today, since I didn't get to it on the weekend. It showed. I was fine for the first hour and a half, but then it started to get difficult. Aches and pains started to get hard to ignore, and I found myself slowing some.

I headed straight up the north side of the river to Edworthy, at a nice easy pace. Not a lot of traffic at that time of day, so I was missing the people aspect of the run. Crossing to the south side, and heading back east was lovely, running along below Spruce Cliff.

By the time I got back to downtown, I was starting to slow down. My speed was still up, but I could feel it. At 12th Street, I crossed to the zoo, and that's about when I was wishing it was over.

I started thinking about trying to avoid the new stairway up to the footbridge at Prince's Island. I could run past it and take the ramp up on the other side, and this was probably the most sensible route. I was also thinking of crossing back to the south side at Edmonton Trail, then taking the Centre Street Bridge. But in the end I tackled the stairs. I don't know what the worry was, as I took it two at a time with no effort. Obviously the running muscles are completely different from the stair climbing muscles.

On The Path Under The Stairs was where I met the real traffic. Lots of people doing hill training, I think. Shortly after I passed under The Stairs, it was walk time. So I got to walk the steepest part of the path. And after that, I was able to get a little agressive on the rest of the climb. But there was nothing left at the top.

The last kilometre was little more than a shuffle. I have lots of stretching to do, cuz stuff hurts.

Today's run:
Distance: 22.84km. Time: 2:10:55. Average speed: 10.5 kph.
Rest distance: 1.51 km. Rest time: 14:00.
Total distance: 24.35 km. Total time: 2:24:55.

Shoes: Saucony Grid Phoenix (Yellow) A.

Weather: Partly cloudy and 21C at the start, and only 22C at the end.

The Calgary Marathon is in 32 days.

No comments: