Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Braided Loop

I call it that because I did the loop from the zoo to Edworthy, and crossed each bridge as I came to it. I think the bridges add about a quarter kilometre each, so it lengthens the run a little, without my getting away from civilization, or doubling up on part of the route.

The river is still very high, and the water is dirty, debris-filled, and flowing fast. I started by going down Nony's Awful Little Hill, and across the Centre Street bridge. I began to circle around to go underneath the bridge and head east, when I encountered the gate. The path under Centre Street was "closed due to unsafe conditions," like about thirty or forty centimetres of water.

I crossed the other way, across the roadway on the lower level of the bridge along Riverfront Avenue. At mid-morning there aren't too many of the corporate types out, especially in this stretch of the path system. But it gets crowded from Centre Street to the zoo. Many are homeless, dependent on the nearby drop-in centre for meals and other essentials. Most are just hanging out, some are already working their crack pipes, oblivious to everything else. It's uncomfortable sometimes, but where else are they going to go?

At Edmonton Trail, I crossed back to the north on the old iron bridge, and discovered that I couldn't loop around and under it at the north end, as that part of the path was under water too. So a quick jaywalk across the road to the other side. The path under the northbound part of Edmonton Trail was fine, though.

The path from there to the zoo runs along the top of a berm. There are benches every hundred metres or so, and all were occupied today. The bush on the river side of the berm is under water, so those that usually camp out down there were now keeping high and dry.

Throughout all this, the sky was very dark and foreboding, the air quite cool. There was a huge storm cell just south of downtown, and by the time I got past the zoo and across the bridge at 12th Street, it was just about gone by. The sun was out by the time I reached the Elbow confluence.

Nothing un-routine until Edmonton Trail, where I crossed north again, then ran along Memorial. The path under Centre Street at the north end was under water, too, so I had to cross at the lower level crossing. For some reason it was blocked off, so no problem.

At Prince's Island, I was up the stairs and onto the foot bridge, across the island to the promenade. It was still early so not too many were out. At the C-Train bridge, I crossed again. The path under 10th Street had been partially under water for the last four or five days. Today the pavement was dry, but the water was lapping at the edge, only five centimetres or so below the edge. So water levels are subsiding.

At 14th, back to the south side, and along Bow Trail and past The Pumphouse to Crowchild. And across again. The run along Parkdale was uneventful. At Edworthy, of course, I crossed again, and it was into the forest below Wildwood and Spruce Cliff.

After crossing the railroad tracks the second time, I was pummeled by the most marvelous fragrance. The wild rose is beginning to bloom and should be with us for another month. Combine that with all the lilacs and honeysuckle, and river runs are rife with a rich redolence.

By the time I reached and crossed Crowchild, I was near the two hour point. Amazingly, I felt quite good, still strong and energetic. The hip flexor was just beginning to make itself felt, so I've had some good healing there, I think.

Cross at 14th Street, cross again at the C-Train bridge, then straight up to The Stairs. I climbed The Path Under The Stairs rather agressively for me, for having already run some 25 km. Then a hard push to home. A very good run.

Today's run:
Distance: 24.25km. Time: 2:20:23. Average speed: 10.4 kph.
Rest distance: 1.85 km. Rest time: 15:00.
Total distance: 26.10 km. Total time: 2:35:23.

Shoes: Saucony Grid Phoenix (Yellow) A.

Weather: Mostly cloudy and 12C to start, up to 14C at the end.

The Calgary Marathon is in 25 days.

No comments: