Thursday, January 11, 2007

Br-r-r-r-r-r!

Ok, the worst of the cold is over with, having moved east into Saskatchewan and Manitoba. But it's still pretty cold out there. I sort of bundled up and headed out for the first run in four days. Man, I needed it.

This was a quick run down to 14th Street, since I wasn't sure about the cold and whether I could stand it. I was prepared to quit at the C-Train bridge if need be. But by the time I got there, I was reasonably warm, except for the spot just below my lower lip.

We didn't get a lot of snow, and I think most of the new stuff on the paths blew there rather than fell. That was one wicked wind yesterday. The nice thing is, it sticks to the ice that was there before, what little there was of that. That gives it some nice traction, which was especially appreciated on The Path Under The Stairs.

As for the crowd, well, there was maybe three other runners, and a dozen cyclists. A quiet night on the paths. I didn't get out until just after sunset, but the air was clear all the way to the western horizon, and the mountains gave it a crisply toothy look.

Distance: 7.02 km. Time: 38:47 Average speed: 10.9 kph.

Shoes: Saucony Grid Phoenix (Yellow) A.

Weather: Clear and -17C, with the wind chill pushing it to -26C.

No comments: