Friday, June 23, 2006

Jetta and Me

Last night I was back in the south, for a run. Tru has been busy settling in after moving into her new home, and has been pressed for time to fit everything in, so I offered to take Jetta, her border collie, for a run. I wasn't sure how it was going to go, not having run with a dog before. And Jetta has been basically a farm dog since day one. But Tru has her well trained.

We headed north on James McKevitt along the walk on the west side. Jetta was a little skittish at first, not being used to having so much traffic around her. After a kilometre or so, she settled down, and I managed to adjust to dealing with the leash. It soon occurred to me that I should have brought a bag just in case she decided she needed a stop, and I worried about that for the next few kilometres.

At the point where James McKevitt curves to the east, we headed west through green space that used to be 146th Avenue. That took us to Evergreen Drive, and we trundled along that until we got to another green space that I thought led to an old road down into Fish Creek Park. There was a steep path down into the park, but not the road I was expecting. And once we emerged from the bush at the bottom, I recognized nothing. This wasn't surprising, actually, as it's been a couple of years since I've been in that part of the park.

A quick check of a sign at an intersection of several paths revealed that where I thought I was, was actually about a kilometre to the north, so Jetta and I headed off through the forest. With the threatening clouds that had been hanging around the city all afternoon, not too many had ventured out to the park, so we hardly saw another soul.

We soon found the intersection where I thought I was before, and the old road, and we headed up, back toward suburbia. Through a green space at the top between the houses, and we were back on Evergreen Drive. By now, Jetta had totally settled into running with me, though she still took all of the leash.

From there we retraced our path back to Tru's. This was a great run. Jetta was awesome to run with, very well trained, and pretty calm considering the unfamiliar environment.

The GPS was dead within a couple of minutes of starting the run. I must have left it on, and I forgot to put it in the charger. So I have no idea how far we went. But we were out for about an hour and fifteen minutes, and looking at a map, I would estimate we traveled about 14 kilometres. So...:

Today's run:
Distance: 14.00 km. Time: 1:15:00. Average speed: 11.2 kph.

Weather: Partly cloudy 13C, with thunderstorms in the area.

No comments: