Sunday, April 09, 2006

Small City

I tried a long run Today. I was only going for a two hour run, but I ran out of city, sort of. I started at Lorne Avenue, then alone the street that went by what used to be a brewery. Then to Poplar Cresent, and the Idlywyld Freeway bridge where I crossed the river.

They've tore down the old school board offices and have some big redevelopement going, so I had to work my way around that. (To the north end of the Victoria Bridge, which is permanently closed now, it being too old and narrow, and too deteriorated to repair.) From there, northward, past the Bessborough Hotel, under the University Bridge, past the Mendel Art Gallery and the weir to the train bridge at 33rd Street.

There is a snazzy new stairway up to the pedestrian path on the bridge, so I took that across to the university side of the river, then continued north to the 42nd Street bridge.

At which point only 45 minutes had elapsed. This was surprising. I didn't expect to be that far, or should I say I expected it to take much longer to go that far. The city is smaller than I remember.

So I turned around and headed back. This time I stayed on the east side of the river, along the university, and then Saskatchewan Cresent and through Victoria Park. This took me back to Poplar Cresent. At Taylor Street, I headed to St. Henry Avenue and kept to the river for a couple of blocks before cutting straight across back to my starting point.

Today's run:
Distance: 15.58 km. Time: 1:29:19. Average speed: 10.5 kph.
Rest distance: 810.4 m. Rest time: 9:00
Total distance: 16.39 km. Total time: 1:38:19

Weather: Cloudy and about 5C or so. Not a lot of people out, but maybe this town doesn't have too many early morning runners.

No comments: