Sunday, February 05, 2006

Checking Out the New Home

A little apprehensive, was I, after skipping last week. I wondered about how much I'd lost by slacking (but Nony said I could...), and really, it didn't make much difference. The whole morning I felt very good and really strong. And because it was distance, I didn't worry about speed.

Out of the house at about 9:00, down to the Y at Eau Claire to meet Byron and we headed west along the south side of the river. Now talk about an impulse buy: he'd been traveling down 17th yesterday, and passed a sign pointing to an open house in Killarney. A couple of hours later, he's the proud (and deeply in debt) owner of a lovely two storey, three bedroom home, in a quiet neighbourhood not too far from downtown.

So just past Crowchild we head up the hill and then over to 24th to go check out this house. Now somebody has been slacking on their marathon training, and it ain't me. The hill climb was a little taxing, but we eventually got to the top, across Bow Trail and then past 17th to check out this house. Very nice neighbourhood.

Then back north to Bow Trail, which we followed to the west end of the Shagannappi Golf Course, and then along Spruce Drive for a really nice jaunt through Wildwood. Down the road to Edworthy Park, and that's a hill we agreed to climb some day, but for now we just were determined to get to the bottom with knees intact.

After that, across the foot bridge to the north side of the river, and back toward the downtown. We crossed back to the south at Crowchild, and about the Greyhound station, Byron crashed. So we walked a little and ran a little. Not too hard, but we eventually got back to Eau Claire, and from there to Good Earth for coffee and a pastry. Then for me it was run back home, about fifteen minutes.

For me it was a great run. I felt good, and with a couple of hills thrown in, I felt challenged too. Lovely!

Today's run:
Distance: 20.47 km. Time: 2:02:38. Average speed: 10.0 kph.
Rest distance: 1.51 km. Rest time: 14:00
Total distance: 21.98 km. Total time: 2:16:38

Weather: Sunny and -2C to start, but warming up a little to 2C by noon. The wind swung around on us, from the north west at the start to more straight north near the end, so it seemed like we were always running into it. It had a bit of a bite, too.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I sense I am being used as an excuse... good thing you didn't suffer on that last distance run or I am sure my name would have shown up all over that last entry!

Your friend is buying a house in the neighbourhood where I grew up. I would be interested to see which one it is. Very cool..

Nony