Sunday, November 13, 2005

Cooler Distance Run

But not all that much cooler. I wore my windbreaker for the first time since maybe April, with a light sweatshirt and tech t-shirt under, and that was about right. Gloves were required for the first half hour, but after that I was nicely warmed.

Must have been a rough Saturday night for someone. There's a little S-curve on 10th Street, that begins just under the C-Train overpass and ends right about the intersection with 13th Avenue. (That's if you're going north.) The curve goes right, then left, and the left turning part is deceptively tight. Even at the speed limit, you feel a bit of side pull. But somebody was going way past that and managed to shear off half the guard rail that protects the adjacent sidewalk. Quite a mess left, though no sign of the vehicle (or vehicles) that did it.

Once across the river I headed west as usual, planning to go all the way to Edworthy park again, then back on the other side of the river. And very quickly I passed a kilometre marker. And a couple of ladies that I caught up to had race numbers pinned to their windbreakers. It was the Last Chance Half. They crossed at Crowchild, while I continued on.

After that it was steady running, feeling quite good, even on the icy parts along the path under Spruce Cliff. And so many people were out. Lots of runners, and very few with the race bibs, but then I was off that race route for most of my time out there. Wonderful day for a run.

Today's run:
Distance: 19.91 km. Time: 1:47:00. Average speed: 11.2 kph.
Rest distance: 1.03 km. Rest time: 11:00
Total distance: 20.94 km. Total time: 1:58:00

Weather: Cloudy and -3C to start, up to -1C by the time I got home. Pretty nice out for running.

As I've announced previously, I've signed up for the Vancouver Marathon on May 7. I also signed up for the Resolution Run on December 31.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I wondered about whether you would do that Resolution Run!

Nony