Sunday, June 12, 2005

30 K Day

That was a long one. I was aiming for 3:20, but fell a little short. With the flooding along the river, I'm kind of improvising as to routes. I ended up following some of the tried and true paths.

From home, over to 10th Street, down to Memorial Drive, only this time I went east. At the zoo, I crossed over to the south side of the river, and trundled along past Inglewood, across a very high Elbow River, past Fort Calgary, Chinatown, and Prince's Island. I crossed back to the north side under the C-Train bridge, and followed Memorial all the way to Crowchild, then down along Parkdale Boulevard to the footbridge across to Edworthy Park. Along the tracks, along Bow Trail, along the promenade to the Centre Street bridge, and up Nony's Evil Little Hill, and home by 4th Street.

Just to get over the 30 km distance though, I went a little ways farther up 4th before cutting across and backtracking to home. I thought about meandering around the neighbourhood a little to make the run the full 3:20 that I had planned on, but naaah...

Lots of people out between Centre Street and 10th Street on both sides of the river, with Walmart's Walk for Miracles, which was cool cuz I like running with the crowds. Was even given a water bottle by one of the volunteers at one of their water stations, even though I protested that I wasn't participating, but they insisted, so that was nice.

One thing I forgot was to set up the GPS for intervals, so I had to be a bit of a clock watcher to take walk breaks when I needed to. So my time stats are a little wonky this week.

Today's run:
Distance: 30.23 km. Time: 3:08:59. Average speed: 9.6 kph.

Weather: Cloudy and 11C to start, climbing to 14C by the time I got home. Really nice morning for a run.

By the way, thanks for the big pasta dinner, Dad.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Is that what it's known as now? Nony's Evil Little Hill??? I am staking no claim!

Nony