Sunday, February 06, 2011

Winter Again

Seems as though my main focus is weather related lately. I don't think that's unreasonable; it is an important consideration. So today, after a sunny shorts and tee shirt run a couple of days ago, I'm bundled up again. It's not wickedly cold, but cold enough. For once I found the right amount of layering.

After the previous few days melting, the paths are almost clear of  ice, with only a few slippery smooth patches. The path along the bluff is an exception, where the packed snow is now a bumpy but polished strip of ice. There is some bare grass along the edge of the path, but uneven and not continuous. I took to the street.

The run, uneventful. Really, much like all the other runs. The ice adds a little fun. I approach the few smooth patches and take to them like anyone who's spent some time curling. It's been a lot of years for me, but some things are like riding the proverbial bicycle. I slide across them, and if they are long enough, I'll do that step-slide you see in curling rinks across the country. It works very well, and it's kinda fun.

I'm slow these days. Having not been out as much as I should be over the last couple of months, I'm slower. I'm slower when it's cold. I'm slower when I have to navigate snow and ice. However, I tell myself I am burning off all those excess calories that appear to be settling just a little north of my belt line. I'm out there to run, not to race, enjoying the journey and all that.

Today's run:
Distance: 10.63 Time: 1:04:09
Average speed: 6:02 min/km. (9.94 kph)
Shoes: New Balance 769 (Blue)

No comments: