Sunday, February 20, 2011

To Wuss Out or Not To Wuss Out

Not well this morning. I woke up aching all over, with the beginnings of a tension headache. I had hoped coffee and a good breakfast would help. As I dressed for a run, I argued with myself about simply going back to bed.

I got out the door, though, and headed for the bluff. By the time I got there, my head was pounding. I stopped, considered, began to walk toward home, but after 50 metres the headache had subsided a little, so I turned and tried again, taking it slow.
L n K
By the time I got to the foot bridge over Memorial Drive, I was feeling queasy from the headache, and my knees and lower legs were hurting. Usually those aches don't last long when I run, but these persisted. By the time I got to 14th Street, I was better, but just determined to finish.

Another cold day today, but still many runners out. I arrived at 10th Street just as the light changed, so got a little rest. A group caught up to me just then too, all younger, taller and faster.  When the light changed I found myself crossing the street in a crowd of runners, feeling a little like that guy in Jurassic Park running across the grass while that herd of fleet footed dinosaurs ran past.

A dull ache from my eyebrows to the middle of my back pretty much kept my attention to a point on the pavement six feet in front of me for the rest of the run.

No Garmin this time. It doesn't seem to hold a charge for much more than a day, and I hadn't plugged it in last time. The distance I'm pretty sure of; I'll guess that my pace was pretty dismal.

Today's run:
Distance: 7.20 Time: 46:48
Average speed: 6:30 min/km. (9.23 kph)
Shoes: New Balance 769 (Blue)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Way to get yourself out there, despite how you were feeling. Get better soon. Give your body time to recoup!