Sunday, September 20, 2009

Rainy Fall Sunday

Well, so much for that beautiful fall weather. Except it's still a lovely day for late September. Even now, it's clearing off and becoming sunny, if a bit breezy.

Anyway, two runs this week, that I didn't get to writing up about:

September 15:
Distance: 7.10 Time: 39:51
Average speed: 5:36 min/km. (10.69 kph)

September 17:
Distance: 7.00 Time: 40:49
Average speed: 5:49 min/km. (10.29 kph)

Anyway, today started grey and rainy. Not all that cold though; I was out with shorts and long sleeve tee shirt. The rain had almost stopped when I got out the door. The one block walk to start while the GPS found satellites went really quick, and I was running toward the bluff.

I was still undecided about what I wanted to do. I briefly considered running east along the river, so would have needed to take The Path, but at the point where I would have turned, I continued the other way toward the Centre Street bridge.

I ran toward Eau Claire then, and cut through by the wading pool, now all dried up and deserted. One of those September sights that are a slightly sad reminder that summer is done.

Lots of those tents with no walls were set up, and a band was warming up for the AIDS Walk. It was still pretty early yet, so there were too many people out.

I ran straight up 3rd Street to 7th Avenue, turning right and crossing over to continue up 4th Street. About this time the rain started up again in earnest. It was quite light, almost a mist, but I got wet enough. I didn't really notice it too much.

It didn't take long to get to 17th Avenue and across. Traffic was still pretty light. I continued on 4th, and curiously was kind of head down and unaware of what was going by. I sort of woke up across from the old theatre that's a Jugo Juice now.

At the Earl's, I crossed to the other side of 4th since the lights were favourable. Past the Tech Shop, Wildwood and then the Safeway, I crossed with the light to the river side of Elbow Drive.

It's been a couple of years since I've ran along the Elbow. It's a nice running route, and a few were out in the rain going the other way. I slowed to a walk at the suspension bridge at 31st Avenue, and crossed. It's way too bouncy to run across. Down the street to the end of the cul-de-sac where the trail along the river picks up.

There were big groups of runners out down there. I passed a couple while climbing a bit of an uphill grade. I passed the monster mansions on the other side of the river, where the last time I was down that way a little white dog cavorted in one of the yards while a coyote on my side of the river watched intently.

Around a curve where the river bank is reinforced with concrete slabs, and I was in Stanley Park, still passing small groups of runners. Past the park and along the street where a friend used to live. She'd sold the place about three years ago, a beautiful little character home, that was replaced almost immediately by a huge monster of a house.

The underpass under Elbow drive came up fast and it's just a nice little dip under the street adjacent to the river. On the other side the trail only goes another fifty metres or so before turning toward the street. Riverdale Avenue is a picturesque street, with big mature trees, and more monster mansions on massive plots of land.

I met a couple more large groups running the other way on this street, following the long slow curve toward the south. It ends at a parking lot and a path that leads through Riverdale Park, open and grassy among some trees closer to the river, with the odd loose dog chasing a ball.

I soon came to another suspension bridge, which I walked again, cross the river to Sandy Beach Park. The path splits and I went right, climbing a short steep hill that goes past public washrooms and the road up the hill to North Glenmore Park.

At this point a check on the GPS showed I had been running for just about 55 minutes. Time to turn and head back. So after a quick stop at those washrooms, I headed back down the hill and crossed the suspension bridge again.

I had planned to follow Riverdale all the way to Elbow, and follow it back to 5th Street. But at the intersection with 9th Street, there was a gap between river front houses to another suspension bridge. I took that, for a change of scenery and woundup following Sifton Avenue back to Elbow.

At Elbow, I just continued north, following the long curve of it all the way to 5th Street, and then headed north that way. Just an uneventful run to downtown. Past the new court building, I finally hit a red light at 5th Avenue, probably the first one in the whole run. And of course another one at 4th Avenue. Both busy streets.

After that I crossed 5th Street to run along beside the new Centennial Place towers on 3rd Avenue, then dodged around Canterra Tower to the Sheraton. The tents set up for the AIDS walk were still rather quiet, not too big a crowd in the rain, although by that time it had stopped.

Then through Prince's Island, across the bridge to the curling club and up The Path from The Stairs. Less than ten minutes later, I was home.

Distance: 15.37 Time: 1:33:11
Average speed: 6:03 min/km. (9.9 kph)
Rest distance: 1.07 km. Rest time: 10:00.
Total distance: 16.44 km. Total time: 1:45:11.

Shoes: New Balance 769.
Today's earworm: L n K, of course!

Weather: Rain and 8C.

No comments: