Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Still In Shorts

I'm loving this weather for running, though it feels kinda weird to be so warm in January. I think I would rather it stay January-ish in January.

The side streets are getting better, with the ruts down to bare pavement, and the sidewalks aren't too bad, since the snow has receded enough to let the melt water drain away a little instead of pooling and freezing on the walk. The path on the bluff is still well covered, and it stayed packed today, not softening like the last couple of days.

I ran along that to the top of The Path and headed down. It's nice that any melting is draining away from that path. It can be awfully treacherous on that slope. This time I headed straight across to Prince's Island and the promenade. Nothing too exciting going on, but there's still lots of light in the late afternoon now.

I took it easy tonight, climbing up the approach to the 14th Street bridge and crossing. On the other side, pretty non-descript as well. Still, it was a wonderful feeling to be out and moving.

At The Stairs, I managed pretty well. I kept a running pace all the way up. And at the top, I managed to keep running, though with the heavy breathing, I wasn't going really slow. Still, I stopped for a moment.

The sunset was arrestingly spectacular. I haven't seen such colour in a sunset for ages, and it was beautiful. And a lot of people seemed to agree. At least half a dozen were just standing on the bluff, facing west. One of them was busy with a big camera. Of those that I made eye contact with, we traded smiles. Just lovely.

Distance: 6.57 Time: 38:59
Average speed: 5:55 min/km (10.11 kph).

Shoes: Asics GT-2130.
Today's earworm: None - still preoccupied.

Weather: Partly cloudy and 4C
l n k

No comments: