Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Slacker, I Am

Not about running, though I have still been unable to get back to a full schedule. I'm talking about the writing. I got home last night after work, and went right out again. There's already some light left at that time of day, so perhaps spring is more than a distant fantasy.

The streets are a mess, and there's no way to run in that stuff. It's like loose wet sand, and it slow me down like crazy. Once I got on The Path Under The Stairs, it was much better. Mostly clear pavement for the rest of it.

I took the ramp to the Memorial Drive trail, and plodded along in only semi-darkness. I felt good about running, and also thought I had some good speed. Over the 14th Street bridge, and back towards downtown.

Not much happening out on the trails, though there were lots of runners for that time of day. Lots more cyclists. At Eau Claire, I decided to keep going and take the Centre Street bridge. It wasn't too bad, but there was some loose snow on it that slowed me down a little. Nony's Awful Little Hill was a quick climb, even with the odd ice patch on the steepest part.

Of course, once on the bluff, I was in the softening snow pack again. Then across Cresent Road and northward to the finish.

Distance: 7.56 Time: 43:30
Average speed: 5:45 min/km (10.43 kph).

Shoes: Asics GT-2130.
Today's earworm: Come Fly With Me, Frank Sinatra.

Weather: Clear and -1C.

No comments: