Sunday, January 25, 2009

Damn Cold Run

Not so cold, but that wind was nasty. I layered up pretty well, and got the scarf out as well. I didn't feel it too much, until I got across the Centre Street bridge and started down the promenade. That was directly into the wind.

For the first fifteen minutes of that stretch, I felt the cold on the face, and had to keep adjusting the scarf to keep my face covered. By the time I got near The Pumphouse I was feeling pretty warm.

And then I crossed the river at Crowchild. Terribly exposed to the wind under that bridge, and the stretch of trail along the river up to the Kensington intersection. Even after that, there was really nothing to slow down the wind.

The wind was pretty insistent at the long straight stretch past Point MacKay, and even snow was drifting down the path.

I charged around Angel's Cafe and finally got some relief, with the wind behind me. After that I settled in, pretty much in a zone. Haven't had that for a long time. For the rest of the run, at least until the stairs, I was just running, nothing in my head except the earworm, just cruising along. The Stairs were very soon in front of me, and I had felt little passage of time.

I tackled The Stairs fairly well, managing to run the whole 167 steps. Of course, at the top, I could only walk for fifty metres or so until my breathing wasn't quite to ragged. And then running along the bluff, and enjoying that beautiful horizon, with the mountians all white again.

Distance: 16.14 Time: 1:31:08
Average speed: 5:38 min/km. (10.63 kph)
Rest distance: .9237 km. Rest time: 10:00.
Total distance: 17.06 km. Total time: 1:40:25.

Shoes: Asics GT-2130.
Today's earworm: I Want to Come Over, lnk Melissa Etheridge.

Weather: Sunny and -17C, climbing to -12C, with wind chills dragging it down another 6 or 7C.

No comments: