Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Hack, Hack

This damn cold has been hanging on for a couple or weeks now. But I finally felt healthy enough to try a run. Right up until I actually stepped out the door, when a tickly tickle started in the throat and wouldn't let go until I got down the bluff. Not coughing, but a kind of constant 'ahem, ahem, ahem...' Once I got on the path along Memorial Drive, it had settled down into a raspy wheeze.

A long day was in front of this, too. I have been having issues with home internet service, and after calls spread out over the last week, a service person was dispatched for today.

Naturally, they never know when they'll show up. I went into work, gathered up some stuff and brought it home. I was out of touch, email-wise, but I was moderately productive.

The guy finally showed up at 6:00 pm, about the time I was about to call it a day and change into running gear. An hour later I have an new internet modem/router, and a somewhat cheaper access plan. Five minutes after that, I was coughing down the street.

I only ran to 14th Street, and even then my chest was a little achy with the wheezing and stuff. All this darkness, and not nearly anyone on the trails. Cold and windy, too, which made it all the more dismal.

And yet, not really. Once I was moving and warmed up, it felt crisp. And it wasn't entirely dark. I got to catch the last bit of glow from the sunset. People were out. Not a bad evening at all.

Distance: 7.15 Time: 41:18
Average speed: 5:46 min/km (10.39 kph).

Shoes: Asics GT-2130.

Weather: Clear and 5C.

No comments: