Sunday, October 24, 2004

Beginnings

Let's see how this works out.

This was created to keep tabs on my running, and maybe on other things. My brother and sister are both veterans of the marathon, whereas I just started metamorphosing from couch potato status about seven months ago. The three of us recently began sharing running info, tips and lore, and well, here we are.

Today was my first run of the week, and it was pretty standard for me. I do 40 minutes - 20 minutes out, turn around and come back. The coming back can vary from 18 to 25 minutes, depending. I figure the closer I get to 20 minutes on the return trip, the better. It's about the only metric I have for now.

One of the paved paths I run has been used for fun runs, half and full marathons, and like that, so I have some measurements painted on the pavement. Where I start, there is an orange 0 K and a red 2.5 K, so I can count up or down. I know the orange numbers got to at least 3 K, but the red stops where I start. And when they did the red, they started out marking every 100 metres for the first 1.5 K so you can fine tune your measurements in that area.

Anyway, I ended up pretty close to half way between the 2.5 and 3.0 orange numbers, and my return trip was 20 minutes, 17 sec. So: about 5.5 K in 40:17.

Sunny,but cool (3C) so I should have worn my gloves. In late afternoon at this latitude and time of year, some of the path is in shadow, so there was ice to deal with.


No comments: