Sunday, March 27, 2011

Snowy Slog

It's fresh and white and heavy and deep and bright. It's like running on sand, rolling out from underfoot. It's slow going, but a good workout. We have really been getting the snow the last few days, and fog too. The downtown is invisible from the bluff, with cloud almost sitting on the river.
L n K
I didn't get to a cleared path until the end of the bridge across to Prince's Island. The bridge was all right, but the path along the river on the north side was greasy. There was some packed snow footprints that the plow left behind, that felt a little more stable and I tried to keep to those.

I ran the 10K loop, and near 19th Street I met the two little Jeeps with snowplows that keep the path clear. Behind them the path was icy and slippery. I think slogging through the snow would have been better. The pavement was just warm enough to have melted the bottom layer, and that was now frozen into a greasy, slippery coating.

The foot bridge under Crowchild was uncleared but that was OK. On the other side, it was more of the same, only there had been some melting, so it wasn't quite so slippery. In fact the whole south side path was pretty good for traction.

I'm still slow. Sore and achy. I don't know where my energy has gone. I noticed my left toe tended to drag on the swing forward for another step, like I couldn't lift my leg. In fact my whole left side felt weak.

Anyway, a slow slog through snow, really quite a lovely day with all the new snow and frosty trees.

Today's run:
Distance: 10.20 Time: 1:08:27
Average speed: 6:42 min/km. (8.94 kph)
Shoes: New Balance 769 (Blue)

No comments: