Sunday, January 09, 2011

New Year's Blizzard

My first run of the new year, and it's blowing pretty nasty out. There were reports on the radio of major stretches of highway being closed. But I figured I better get out there.

Seems like the only day of the week I run is Sundays; I need to get back into my schedule of at least three times a week. I don't know why it's so hard, but I readily lay the blame on the cold and the darkness.

Anyway, it's blowing hard from the west, but I had that at my back heading down to the Centre Street bridge. The paths and the top of the bluff are layered in semi-packed snow, and it's slow going. In contrast, the bridge was scoured clean by the snow. I could feel it too, a whippy cross wind slowed only a little by the bridge railing.

Coming off the bridge, I was fully exposed, now wishing I'd worn a scarf, but a hundred paces on I had some shelter from the trees growing along the edge of the river. A little better. Past Eau Claire it was much more sheltered, and I started to warm up a little, and that was all I needed. After that, even though I was in and out of the wind, it never really bothered me too much.

I crossed at the 14th Street bridge, reasoning that I wasn't up to much more since I've been slacking for the past month. On the other side, with the wind at my back, it was much more civilized. I passed the two little jeeps with plows on them, that keep the path clear from Edworthy to the zoo, they were backing down the path, maybe to take a wider bite from the ridge along the path's edge.

The trudge up The Path Under The Stairs went well. By then I was head down, all business, just get 'er done. The path at the top of the bluff was mostly polished now by the blowing snow. There were a couple of low spots where it was accumulating, just for variety.

I don't set any speed records in these conditions, but I think I did not too bad.

Today's run:
Distance: 7.62 Time: 47:02
Average speed: 6:10 min/km. (9.72 kph)
Shoes: New Balance 769 (Blue)

1 comment:

Alexandra said...

Yup! You just got 'er done and I applaud you for that! Good going Kelly!