Sunday, December 05, 2010

A Cold Clear Morning

A perfect day for running, as long as you layer up and make sure you can stay warm. Actually it's easy to over dress, and I was sort of, which means I was probably dressed about right, a little cold running into the wind, and a little warm running with it. A lot of runners were out too, dressed in various layers. No shorts, like I saw a couple of days ago, but definitely the other extreme, including big honkin' leather mitts and thick scarves.

It's been a week since I've been out, and I felt it. Achy in a few places, thought probably not like I could be given how I haven't been out much the last couple of weeks.

It was icy all over, but most of the trails have clear paths along the edge or down the middle. It's rare to have to actually run on the ice, but there is a  fair amount of dancing left and right to go around the ice patches. Even The Path Under The Stairs had a nice clean lane down the side.

I thought I'd stay with a 10K run, which felt about right for now. I'm not breaking any speed or distance records under the current conditions.

Two weeks ago, I ran the Last Chance Half Marathon, before much of the cold and snow hit. Or was it three...? Talk about middle of the pack; I came in 221st in a field of 468, 143rd out of 211 male runners, 24th out of 44 in my age division. My chip time was 1:54:32 for a pace of 5:28, and ya know, that's pretty darn good!

Last Chance Half Marathon (by my Garmin):
Distance: 20.90 Time: 1:54:43
Average speed: 5:29 min/km. (10.93 kph)
Shoes: New Balance 769 (Yellow 2)

Last Sunday's run:
Distance: 10.17 Time: 1:04:29
Average speed: 6:20 min/km. (9.46 kph)
Shoes: New Balance 769 (Yellow 1)

Today's run:
Distance: 10.24 Time: 1:01:15
Average speed: 5:58 min/km. (10.03 kph)
Shoes: New Balance 769 (Blue)

1 comment:

chris mcpeake said...

Congrats on a great race