Sunday, December 27, 2009

An Improvement

It's still going slow this season. I've really fallen off the rails here. I didn't get the leg cramps as bad as the last couple of times out, but they were still there. And after almost an hour they were down to a dull ache.

I headed out shortly after sunrise, running toward and along the bluff, and then down Nony's Awful Little Hill to the Centre Street bridge. I worried about being under-dressed. I was feeling the cold, but hoped that I would warm up enough from running.

At the first interval, I was slower than the last time I was out. I let go of any thoughts of having a reasonably fast run, and just concentrated on getting in the distance I wanted and getting it done.

I ran along the promenade, not the hobble that it felt like last time, but the heaviness was still there. I felt like I had gained forty pounds somewhere, the way my foot impact was hammering the pavement. I feel heavy and entirely graceless.

At the C-Train bridge I crossed to the north side of the river. The underpass under the Louise Bridge was still under ice and water, and I imagine the path on the other side might be neglected by the sidewalk plows because of that.

The run along Memorial was a heavy plodding affair. I wasn't improving my time much, and sometimes when I was on a walk break, I missed the chime to start running again.

By the time I got to the pedestrian overpass near the Boy Scouts building, the leg cramps were a distant ache, but I still couldn't get it in gear. I think I was running slower and slower as time went on.

I had another walk break just past Crowchild, and decided to call it a day. I'm usually there after about 30 minutes, but this was at the 40 minute mark, so was way off my usual pace. I turned around.

Something interesting to notice is that with the sun so low in the sky, almost all of Memorial drive from the C-Train bridge to Centre Street is in shadow from all the downtown skyscrapers across the river. Those towers cast long shadows.

When I got to The Path Under The Stairs, I actually managed to feel a bit more energetic and be a little aggressive. Climbing a slope seems to ease the kind of cramps I've been getting. But at the top, I was pretty much used up.

A sunny, beautiful day for running today, and in general I felt better than the last couple of weeks.

Today's run:
Distance: 10.39 Time: 1:08:52
Average speed: 6:37 min/km. (9.05 kph)
Rest distance: 0.68 km. Rest time: 7:00.
Total distance: 11.07 km. Total time: 1:15:52.

Shoes: New Balance 769 (blue).
Today's earworm: wistful L n K.

Weather: Sunny and -11C.

No comments: